List Of Foods That Are Good For Your Brain
What are the brain foods? Brain foods are foods that are first healthy for your overall wellbeing and at the same time provide your brain with a steady flow of nutrition and energy. Many foods have been researched and documented to have good effects on your brain. Here, in this article I will address only those that I have been using myself and I believe are the best source of brain power and health. The good brain foods have some common characteristics: they contain Omega oils, good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, complex carbohydrates, lack of artificial ingredients and are mostly fresh or minimally processed.
1. Fish - oily fish such as salmon, mackrel, sardines and herring are high in Omega oils. I find that eating raw salmon as sashimi or sushi is very beneficial for my brain. If you can't eat raw salmon, you can try baked or smoked salmon.
2. Nuts - many nuts contain healthy oils and are considered good brain foods. The best examples are walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and cashews. Don't you think that walnuts even look like a brain.
3. Coconut oil and flax seed oil - those two oils provide energy for your brain. Even though coconut oil is mostly saturated fat, it is researched and documented to be very beneficial for brain function and heart health.
4. Complex carbs such as legumes, potatoes, brown rice and seeds are processed slowly by your digestion, thus providing a constant and steady flow of energy for your brain.
5. Teas - green tea is reported to help brain power naturally. There are many herbal blends containing green tea and herbs such as ginseng and astragalus.
6. Yogurt and kefir - yogurt and kefir are good for your immune system and help you stay healthy. It is hard to think any creative thoughts when you are sick.
7. Fruits - fruits are good for their complex carbohydrates, but mostly for their natural vitamins and minerals. Synthetic vitamins and minerals don't work as well as the natural ones. There is no harm in taking synthetic vitamins, but they alone won't cover your daily needs, regardless of what it says on the package.
8. Herbal supplements - there are several herbs that are reportedly good for your brain function. The most widely used are Gotu Kola (there isn't any coffein in it), Bacopa and Ginseng. They can be found in many health stores. Another good herbal supplement is Camu Berry powder. This is the the berry with strongest concentration of natural vitamin C, and vitamin C is also very important for brain power.
In addition to this list it is very important to use some common sense and discipline when choosing what to eat. There is a strong relation between body and mind. Usually food that is good for your body is good for your brain too.
Next Article: Foods That Are Bad For Your Brain
You may also like: Healthy Eating Tips For Everyone
Read More Articles